Sunday, February 26, 2012

Couch to 5k take two!

So this week I restarted my couch to 5k journey. I haven't ran in a long time, well really since the weather turned to really hot in August. So 6 months. Now I own a treadmill and really have zero excuses. Even getting hit by a car in January isn't enough to stop me. This time I am really evaluating my running as well as the reasons why I sabotage myself and which excuses I make and why. I make a ton of them! This season of biggest loser is no excuses and I am trying to focus on that as well. A lot has changed for me this year. I was officially diagnosed with a thyroi issue as well as a syndrome called PCOS. Both medical reasons that contribute to weight gain and make it difficult to lose weight. I am seeing a doctor that specializes in weight loss here in Ottawa and he has really helped me begin to see the emotional issues that back the weight gain and for the most part I have seen some positive changes. I am also on a carb free 'diet' because of the PCOS. The PCOS makes me insulin resistant which means I am not diabetic but show a lot of symptoms like a diabetic especially when it comes to weight. I carry 90% of my weight in my stomach area which is not good at all!

Anyways with these new diagnosis I have had to think about food in a whole other way. Y eating no carbs at Christmas. It's hard, especially when you have a mother in law who makes shortbreads like mine. But I did really well over Christmas, so well I lost almost 5lbs over the Christmas break. Still did well into the new year, and then wham January 19 I get hit by a car while walking into work. Next thing you know Im on the couch doped on pain killers eating the worst foods possible. Why? Because eating makes me feel better. I have no idea why I turn to food, I just know I do/did. I am an emotional eater and I had no problem making rationalizations to why I was eating like crap. Next came two deaths, two funerals. A hard month overall. Again excuses. I discovered I had no issue at Christmas time because I could plan. I knew what was coming and I thought about how I could handle it. The accident and deaths were unexpected and I didn't know how to handle it. I couldn't preplan, I couldn't think through scenarios. Instead I took a crappy time and temporarily made myself feel better.

I haven't figured out how I am supposed to fix this except jump on where I was and keep pushing. I do know I need to start thinking now while I am feeling okay things that I do that make me feel better that don't involve food. And this is why I turned to running again as last year it made me feel absolutely amazing and empowered me to do better.

S today I completed week 1 over again. And after reading my first week from last year on this blog I have discovered a very great thing. I am better that what I was, I have improved! I easily completed this week, without any issues. Running 60 seconds at 4.0 is easy! Last year I couldn't make 60 seconds. Now I breezed through it. I cannot wait to start week two and complete this couch to 5k once and for all!

No comments: