Tuesday, April 05, 2011

I decided to start this blog to write about my journey through Weight Watchers, and my newest journey- tackling Couch 2 5 K.

I am a big girl, at 5'2 I started my journey at 266lbs. I joined Weight Watchers on January 2, 2011 as a commitment to myself to start life over in a healthier happier way.

Now on April 4th, 2011 I have lost 23lbs, sitting at 243lbs. This is still a huge number, but it is going down, sometimes slower than I would like. The last few weeks have been hovering around the same weight and I decided I really needed to kick it up a notch. Hence the reason for starting the couch to 5 k plan. I downloaded the mp3 for week one from http://runningintoshape.com/
I really liked her music and it was easy to upload it to my Blackberry.

Today was my first day on week 1. I learned very quickly that 60 seconds is a long time, especially for a woman of my size. I managed to get through the first 3 cycles of run/walk no problem, by the 4th cycle I was finding it difficult to breathe. At that moment I made myself a commitment to just push as far as I could and then to walk. I made it to 45 seconds every time, and when I absolutely couldn't breathe I allowed myself to walk. If I had pushed too much I knew I would never go back out again.

It's important for me to celebrate every success, and the fact that I walked outside my door is a success. The fact that I didn't quit and stuck through the whole 30 minutes- success! I made sure that I ran the last one for the full 60 seconds and then congratulated myself as I was walking home. Even if people were staring at me as I ran (HEY! Look at that fat girl thinking she can run!) inside my head I told myself- hey! You are awesome, Look at that fat girl changing her life!

Every day is a challenge. How can you change what you have known for your entire life? It's about choices. Sometimes I don't always make the right choices, but I recognize when those choices aren't good and try to make a better choice next time. It's really learning how to live, for the first time.

Starting this blog is one way for me to keep myself accountable. I will be back here every day to write, whether or not people actually read this- it is for me to be able to say "Jessica, you are doing great, stick with it!!! "

Thanks for reading :)

5 comments:

Kenzie Prudhomme said...

That sounds awesome Jess! Great job I just may join you on that as well :)
I gained last week at my WI and that really put me down in the dumps. You are doing so good though!

Jess said...

Kenz, I gained this week too. Its inspired me to push back and up the plan. You can do it too!!!

Julie D said...

Great job Jess! Keep up the good work!

Unknown said...

Keep going Jess, I know you can do it. I promise not to temp you with my german meals.:)

Carli said...

Jessica, you did exactly what you are supposed to. The C 2 5K is just a guide. You can repeat weeks/days as needed until you are comfortable moving on. As a fellow big girl I can relate. I think it took me about 12 weeks my first time. Best of Luck. I hope to add your race day pic to my Wall of Fame.
Carli
www.runningintoshape.com